I have never set any resolutions for myself, but this year I thought it may be a good idea. I am big on setting goals for myself and I think it can only help to have it written down (or typed) and to have someone to hold you accountable to achieve what you want. These are the things off the top of my head that are most important to me.
1. Stay sober (duh!)- On Friday January 7th I will celebrate 5 years of sobriety. Naturally, my first goal is to remain sober. 98% of the time this is fairly easy for me. But every once in awhile I have a challenging moment. Luckily, those moments come and go in a matter of seconds, but it is important for me to continue to do the necessary work to ensure my sobriety.
2. Be fluent in Spanish- Those of you that know me know that I speak some Spanish, but I have always wanted to be fluent. I want to be able to communicate, to translate, and I want to go to Spanish speaking AA meetings. I put this on my list because I am looking at doing a Spanish immersion program in March. It is really important to me and I want it to be a top priority this year.
3. Trip to Italy- I have wanted to go to Italy for many many years. I have been putting back a little money here and there specifically for that trip. Originally Ihad intended on going in September or October, however, I’m not entirely sure that I will be able to do it then because of another goal. I will keep on saving and see when the trip may work out….
4. Make more friends- I feel kind of silly putting this on my list of resolutions, but it really is something I think about a lot. I spend a lot of time by myself, and quite frankly, I’m tired of it. When school is in session and I am working numerous jobs socializing gets moved to the bottom of the list. I am always tired and have homework and preparations for work, so I get in a rut and I find myself getting lonely. So this year, I want to make more friends. Spend time with people and enjoy myself a little more
5. Get straight A’s- Every single semester I end up with all A’s and one B!! Every freakin time!! I don’t know how I always end up with one lonely B, but it is kind of funny. This year I want all A’s.
6. Smile more- I am a pretty serious person and I find that people often think I am in a bad mood or unhappy because of the look on my face. I don’t know what the look is, but apparently it isn’t good! And I am actually really funny! I think I get really focused on what is in my head, or really focused on my work and I am not aware of the look on my face. So…I am going to make a conscious effort to smile more! It always makes you feel better to smile anyway so this one should be fun!
7. Save aggressively- I like to save money, to ensure my independence, to protect my life, and to build my future. It is important to me to make smart financial choices- to live debt free, to never buy things I can’t afford, and to overall live within my means. Thus far, I have saved whatever was comfortable on a monthly basis. Now, I want to save aggressively. I let my financial advisor know exactly what my monthly saving goal is and I put some things in place to make it easier. I am at a prime point in my life and there is no reason to waste my time or money. So I will save aggressively this year while I have been blessed with the opportunity.
8. Buy a condo- This year I want to become a homeowner for the first time. I don’t want to buy an actual house because I don’t like houses. I’m sure that sounds weird, but for safety reasons I like to be surrounded by people. So, for me, a nice condo. This is the one thing that could interfere with my trip to Italy. My move date will be around October so I’m not sure I will be able to do both. Don’t worry! If I don’t make Italy in the Fall I will definitely make it in the Spring!!
9. Side projects- I have a couple of side projects that I have been researching and thinking about. One is a jewelry thing, one is a recovery plan thing, and one is a video blog and book review. I want to make some steps forward on these projects. I ordered a tripod for my camera last week so I can start doing video book reviews. All recovery related books. I have been doing a lot of research on the jewelry thing and need to take some action, and a recovery plan will just take some time to put together and market. Which leads me to….
10. Read more- I would love to read more!!! School really hinders personal reading because I always have so much school reading and homework to do. But I want to make a point to read just for me. This is also a necessity to achieve one of my side projects (video book reviews). I love to read and have since I was a little girl, I miss it a lot. I think with a little effort I can make this happen!
So these are my resolutions. They aren’t in any particular order except the first one! Obviously my sobriety is always the number one thing on my mind, and I am beyond excited to celebrate 5 years this week.
ALSO……my blog has been such an amazing success and I have all of you to thank! I never thought I would have so much traffic and participation and I am truly grateful! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!